Dog Busters - Disaster Animal Rescue

Originally started with stories and photos from rescuing animals in New Orleans after Katrina hit.... and then some of the efforts still going on years later, and new disasters. You are welcome to email me with questions etc. - griffinsgallery at verizon

Monday, January 23, 2006

One eyed Car



So there we were in the area of Robert E. Lee and Arts trying to locate a black female dog that we had previously seen and appeared as if she might be nursing pups. She eluded us that night and she is still out there today. As we were cruising around looking for her we came across this very erie car. One tree branch brushed its roof. It looked like many of the hurricane cars still parked in the driveway, dead. The only thing that made us question if it had been moved since Katrina was that one headlight and one taillight were on, faintly casting a strange orange glow. When I ventured outside of our car to take some photos, I heard a strange pumping sound coming from across the street. I thought about all the old movies I had seen talking about voodoo in the Mississippi Valley. I also have to say I believe in spirits, and I am sure New Orleans has many of these days. Eva did not dare get out, and we left quickly talking about how weird the car and night was.

The next night we were in the same area looking for the nursing dog. I was on the phone with Chuck telling him about the one eyed car not noticing where we were, when Barb, who was driving came upon the one eyed car. It was very odd because I couldn't recall from the previous night where we were when we saw it, and odd because I just spoke about it, and there it was.

The third night we had a better idea of it's location. This night Barb and I had Alex with us. We stopped the car and parked. I felt a little braver because there were now three of us, and I had become familiar with the scene. I hopped out of the car, walked closer with my heart beating faster and faster. I took out my digital camera and proceeded to take photos. The pump across the street was silent tonight. I can't imagine who would have turned it off. During all of this, Alex had moved in to take a closer look. Alex and I chatted about the car, then I heard a faint radio sound. There was no one for blocks around, so it had to be the car. I hadn't heard it the other evening. I approached closer and peered in from a distance. Movement! I gasped in surprise. There was someone in the car! I took a few steps back. Alex the brave, went up to the car, and talked to the person. "We were just checking to see if you were alright." Quick thinking Alex! I had no idea what to say. The gentleman made no reference that he was observing us as we were traveling through the area other nights. The gentleman explained he lived there and offered to show us his ID as if we were police officers. We said no, that it was OK. We asked if he needed anything. No, he was fine. The house was too moldy to stay in and he wanted to listen to some music, so he stayed in his car. I think that he suprised us, more than we suprised him with our constant traveling across his territory.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home