Dog Busters - Disaster Animal Rescue

Originally started with stories and photos from rescuing animals in New Orleans after Katrina hit.... and then some of the efforts still going on years later, and new disasters. You are welcome to email me with questions etc. - griffinsgallery at verizon

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Never Again - My personal story and feelings. -Rachel

Never Again.

Never Again. Famous words for when someone realizes that they made a terrible mistake. Words that are spoken from the soul, making a promise to all those that hear or read them, that they will do everything in their power to make sure that what transpired will never happen again.

I watched CNN, and heard the government say, “Don’t self dispatch.” First it was 911. I did nothing, and went on with my life. The second time I heard the words was Hurricane Katrina. My heart told me I had to do something. I spent days searching and finally took the Red Cross spontaneous volunteer training, expecting to be dispatched immediately. That was not the case. I found another group (Good-Works PAC) going down south, and so I ended up in Tylertown, MS volunteering with the Red Cross distributing bulk supplies and debit cards. My path then lead me to Gonzales, LA where the Humane Society of the United States had rented a facility to aid in the rescue of the animals forced to be abandon in the houses and streets of New Orleans. There I found my hearts calling.

I spent two weeks in September working at this temporary animal shelter. Most of us were forced to temporarily evacuate for a day while Hurricane Rita hit, but then I hit the streets of New Orleans searching houses for animals owners requested us to rescue. Then it was time for me to leave, but after a week a home I knew I had to return again. I returned for a two weeks tour in October, then two weeks in November. December pulled me away to address a family illness, graduation, and my husbands Christmas birthday. Every time I went down things changed. More people returned. The type of rescue needed was different. I heard more accounts from the people of their plights, and what they heard and saw when and after the levees burst.

Yes, people were raped in the Superdome and Convention Center. Yes, the sheriff of St. Bernard’s Parish ordered the shooting of the pets that were evacuated to schools and shooting the dogs on the streets. Police were beating people when they refused to leave their animals, giving the no choice. People hid from the National Guard because they knew they would have to leave their four footed family behind if they were found. Many people reported hearing some sort of explosion right before the levee burst flooding the 9th ward. Whether this was the barge that was left in the canal, hitting the levee, or an intentional explosion, I doubt we will ever know. Two of my friends found human bodies in late September. The area affected by the devastation was so vast the searches were cursory. The corpses of dogs and cats were common.

I spent all of January down rescuing dogs. A large part of the rescues my team worked on at that time were mother and puppies. The religious philosophy of the majority of people in New Orleans was not to alter what god had given the animals. It may have also been complimented by the cost and complication of spay and neutering them. New Orleans had approximately 26,000 animals roaming the streets before Hurricane Katrina hit them. Pit bull fighting was not uncommon. Litters of puppies were left on the side of the road for Pit Bull trainers to take and use a bait dogs. The attitude of the LASPCA during the aftermath of Katrina is that they had everything under control. That opinion does not reflect my own experience.

I had also planned to stay to help during the month of February, but a surprise visit from my husband in mid-January, blessed me with child, and I decided that it would be best I go home to attend to my new situation. About a week before I left I was confronted by a gentleman asking, “Why are you helping the animals, what about the people? Where were you when the people were trapped in the Superdome?” I had no quick retort for his anger, stress and frustration. I did not tell him my story. I know I am better suited to help the animals that had no choices during this disaster. They cannot speak, feed or defend themselves against the humans. I had seen the post-traumatic stress before in the other evacuees. I had also seen volunteers burn out in a week from the unique and sad situations that we dealing with. Even if I gave this man an explanation as to why I was not there when the people were trapped at the Superdome, Convention Center, and in the attics and roofs of their homes, I doubt he could have heard me.

Today I know I will listen to my heart, and Never Again will I listen to external voices that say, “Don’t self dispatch.” What would have happened if I took my canoe and my car down? The military can organize, while the civilians act, and the job would be done. I could do little, but one drop can fill a glass when followed by another. So I ask you to think about what I am saying here. Listen to your heart. Next time it may be you on the other side of the water and few will know what is really happening.

-Rachel McKay Laskowski February 14, 2006.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home