Dog Busters - Disaster Animal Rescue

Originally started with stories and photos from rescuing animals in New Orleans after Katrina hit.... and then some of the efforts still going on years later, and new disasters. You are welcome to email me with questions etc. - griffinsgallery at verizon

Sunday, December 25, 2005

The Bitch in Heat I pimped


Petfinder Page on this dog.

So we were around Jackson St. This became one of my favorite areas. It was pretty much a straight shot off of Claiborne, down Jackson to "Hound Zero" at Magazine and Felicity. I believe Lynda M., Shelby and I were working together. Someone spotted dogs around Josephine and Robertson. Neighbors reported many dogs in the area. Lynda and Shelby spoted some going between some houses. I climbed over a very tall iron gate to get into the back area. Leash and a can of wet food in hand I zipped around the back to ensure that the dogs they spotted didn't slip out the back, when I almost ran into a beautiful gray and tan brindle pit! Ok, I love Rottweiler's and have no fear of them, but some of the pits around New Orleans made me extra cautious. She didn't seem to be running. She just layed there. I didn't have my pole with me, so I just reached into the wet dog food and offered her some. To my surprise she took it. Next handful I had the leash looped around my hand so I could lead her head into it as she went for the food the second time. No problem, but she was cautious and eyeing me up. I lead her around to the front where Lynda and Shelby were. A large cast iron gate blocked me. We had to find a way out. The back was open but I didn't want to go all the way around. Shelby checked a few door and found an exit. When we began to load her in the crate and into the car someone mentioned, "Hey she is in heat!" Just yesterday I mention, wouldn't it be great if we had a dog in heat, then we could easily catch some of these dogs.

Well it didn't turn out to be that easy, but I did pimp her around the area the next two days. More on that later....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home