Dog Busters - Disaster Animal Rescue

Originally started with stories and photos from rescuing animals in New Orleans after Katrina hit.... and then some of the efforts still going on years later, and new disasters. You are welcome to email me with questions etc. - griffinsgallery at verizon

Friday, June 23, 2006

New Orleans Flooding Animation Map

Just got this from Cadi ...


If you haven't already seen graphics of how the levee breaks & storm surges pounded NOLA, you should really check out http://www.nola.com/katrina/graphics/flashflood.swf - it explains a lot about the patterns of destruction & survival that we all saw around town (and it's pretty scary to watch). You can also get a good idea of standing water depths at http://www.nola.com/katrina/graphics/depths.swf or even more exact block-by-block estimates at http://mapper.cctechnol.com/floodmap.php (personally, I was rather alarmed to realise that my two refugee cats came from areas with >10ft of water!)

Anyways, I hope you're all doing well and that you've enjoyed the first few days of summer.

Miss you, C

And Brian Added...
hay guys,
these maps are great, but I think the water level map is deceptive in that it shows where the water settled at. I was in a house just off Tupelo north of Miro in 17North that has a water line on the sheet rock at my eye level ON THE 2ND FLOOR. The map "only" shows only about 12 feet. We were in the house when the owner showed up, and he said it was the third surge (Rita?) that was the worst.
Take care, and I still hope to some how pull off my summer trip. Burning up my truck engine has been a blow, but a friend donated several cases of MREs so we will have dinner every nite in December (I can't pull down from my 401(k) till January !!!) Hope to see you all at Corolla's training class.
Brian

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home