Dog Busters - Disaster Animal Rescue

Originally started with stories and photos from rescuing animals in New Orleans after Katrina hit.... and then some of the efforts still going on years later, and new disasters. You are welcome to email me with questions etc. - griffinsgallery at verizon

Monday, December 26, 2005

Dog eats Dog



Petfinder Page on this dog.

We had been in the area watching and catching the pack that was hanging around the Hoffman school, off of Washington Ave. There is a PT Cruiser in the middle of the lawn there. To clarify where the team was going, we often called this area the PT Cruiser school. We picked this girl up from underneath, 3023 Fourth St. near Derbigney. The interesting story about her was that we had been there the previous day, and by this house the previous day. There is/was a matress outside of the house in the front where it was clear a dog was nesting. When we returned the next time, she was under the house and we were able to enclose her. While the team was underneath house catching the dog, I grabbed my camera. Upon looking around I noticed what I thought was the legs of a cat on the matress. They weren't there the day before. I had heard in other neighborhoods stories about cats disappearing. Neighbors thought the dogs were getting them. I discretly found a trashbag and covered them up. The rest of the team had seen it yet, even through they had all walked by a few times. It is very easy to miss details in all the debris. After catching the dog, I mentioned it to Chris? I wanted her to confirm that they were cat legs. Upon second look she and I confered that it was actually small dog legs. We calmly asked each team member if they cared to see eaten dog. Some people are more sensitive. I have seen people burn out in about a week... crying, geting snappy and grumpy, thus the reason for asking. Eventually everyone looked.
Click here to see a photo of the mattress with the dog legs.
Right around this time all the powers that be were about to do an animal assessment. I reported this, address and all. I hope it helped convince the LASPCA that there was a large animal still a problem in the city! They seemed to need convincing that they still need help down there! This was back in mid-November. I had noticed many bags of dogfood, uneaten. It was clear to me that they were getting sick of random dry dog food. I hope this dog had already died, when she ate it, but who knows? She didn't appear to be an aggressive dog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home